Swan River

Swan River is found in Australia and has been famous for its seafood. If you are living in Australia than I am sure you have visited this place and know a lot about it. The latest news about the Swan River will shock you because it’s not safe to swim and eat there.

Recently many health departments advise the people to stay from the river because of the algal infection. If anyone has infected by the water, they are asked for an immediate medical checkup.

According to the recent news by the WA Department of Health people should not eat fish, crabs or shellfish collected from this river because they can be harmful to your health.

The most common area that is affected by the toxins includes Perth Waters, Elizabeth Quay, Barrack.

The reason behind the toxins

According to Michael Lindsay who is the executive director of environmental health says the main reason behind the toxins in Swan River is due to microscopic algae. These algae are producing numbers of poisoning foods that are known as shellfish poisoning. Therefore, it’s not safe to eat those fish present in the river.

These algae are not visible by naked eyes can cause massive damage to the body and brain. The river has become a Toxic River.

Swan river seafood is very dangerous, and that’s the reason many hotels in Australia are not serving its seafood.

Cooking will not destroy these toxins

If you are thinking that cooking can destroy these toxins, then it’s not true. According to Dr. Lindsay, these toxins will not go away from any swan river seafood because these toxins are highly dangerous.

He also said, “It’s essential to know the fact that cooking will not destroy these toxins.”

Different health departments are advising people not to eat shellfish or crabs and even fish at home or hotels if these are collected from Swan River. The main points that are affected include Pelican Point and Matilda Bay.

What are the symptoms of poisoning?

Following are the symptoms that you can have while eating this seafood.

  • Tingling
  • Numbness of lips
  • Prickliness of fingertips
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Slurred speech
  • Double vision
  • Weakness
  • Swallowing
  • Loss of fluids
  • Diarrhea

In case if the condition gets worse than you might have chances of muscular Paralysis.  Dr. Lindsay said if you feel any of the above symptoms after eating fish than visit the doctor as soon as possible. Shellfish can cause more damage to health. Avoid eating following shellfish oysters, mussels, clams, pipis, scallops, cockles, and razor clams.

Commercially caught shellfish are safe

Dr. Lindsay advised people not to eat seafood directly from the river, but different reports show that those who were ready to sell commercially were considered safe. These swan river shellfish were first sent to the factory to check and were purified so many times for the safety of the people.

The level of algae can’t be reduced because it’s among the most poison toxins one can imagine. Not just this algae is related to eating but also avoid swimming in the river because it can cause different skin infections and diseases.

Furthermore, not all the WA waterways are the monitor, but in case if anyone sees the suspects of this toxin, they are asked to report the government immediately.

Final Words

Different doctors advise maintaining a healthy diet plan to reduce the level of infection. Most of the patients were asked to increase the amount of Vitamin D because when people are infected with these diseases, they feel more weakness.

If you are infected by the disease that must see a doctor before it’s too late, for more details visit the Department of Parks and Wildlife website.

Leave a Reply